Monday, November 06, 2006

GB-PVR personal video recorder

I thought it would be a nice idea to install a reasonably priced TV tuner card in my PC. On the advice of a colleague at work, I bought a Hauppauge PVR-150 card, then downloaded and installed GB-PVR.

GB-PVR is free software, but never-the-less a fully featured Personal Video Recorder (PVR), allowing you to schedule recordings and view/pause live TV. It's also a media centre supporting FM radio, DVDs, video files, photos, streaming radio stations, CDs, MP3s, etc.

I was pleasantly surprised when everything worked without a hitch after completing a straight-forward setup, including using xmltv as the TV listings "grabber" for the Electronic Programming Guide (EPG).

GB-PVR is very well supported via a comprehensive wiki. This is an amazing hardware/software combination, which I can definitely recommend if you're considering building your own PVR.

No comments: